Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What If?

We've been reading a lot lately about this movie and so far there's not a whole lot of concrete information. I've talked a lot with JTS about some theories I've been throwing around lately. One of which I'll mention here. I figure this will be something to look back at in January and say, "See guys. I told you so!" Either that, or I'll be completely wrong. Either way, feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think. Am I on to something, or am I completely insane?

My theory is that we'll never see this monster. JJ Abrams and team have built an immense publicity machine shrouded in secrecy and misdirection. It’s actually probably bigger than they had ever imagined. And now that it’s working, now that everyone is hooked, I don’t think anything is going to live up to our expectations. No physical form can live up to the hype. If all reports so far are true, we know there are survivors, and they find a video camera after this monster wreaks havoc on NYC. The hand-held, personal video camera will be our only source of information. It will be our only viewpoint.

Sure, we may get shadows or a hint of a tail or a close up of an eye, but the cameraman (check the trailer, it is a man’s voice behind the camera) will surely be in terror. And since we know there are survivors, we can assume the military presence we’ve seen in a photo at www.1-18-08.com intervenes and brings the monster down. But, what is the likelihood this one camera, filmed by this one person, will be at the center of the action as the great beast is destroyed? Slim to none.

So, there you have it. I honestly don’t think we’ll ever see the monster. I could be wrong, but it’s my theory and I’m sticking to it until proven otherwise. Now is your chance to let me know what you think. Will we see the monster, or will JJ Abrams lead moviegoers through this entire film without ever seeing the villain?